Saturday, July 16, 2011

Satisfied, and it feels so good!

I feel full, spent, satisfied. Why? Well, I spent the day with the most fabulous and amazing group of colorful people the town has to offer. And it's been far too long since I've done that. In fact, it's why I waited until this evening to write this blog post because I knew this day would be a blast.

My brain may be melted (the heat and humidity were no fun), and my body may be a bit crispy and dried out, but it was all worth it. First I got to spend the day getting to know some of my fellow writers even better - wild, crazy, fun women writers. Thanks Andrea, Sidney and Jennifer for making the day even more colorful!

Not that color was lacking at this event. On the contrary, color was in abundance, from the rainbow flags to the pretty boys and girls walking about, and the sparkly nail polish on more than one Queen, it was a gorgeous and hot (in more ways than one!) day.

We saw an amazing young man perform scarf dances and belly dance with a troupe of amazingly talented belly dancing women. One of whom danced with a python and inspired a new story idea that Jen will hopefully run with. One of the dancers was a large Nubian goddess who puts my feeble attempts at undulations to shame. The following pictures show off the belly dancers and the scarfs...but don't stop there, there's a few more pictures yet.


I apologize for the quality of the pictures, I only had my Blackberry with me today.


We - as in GRRWG - were a sponsor at this year's Network Neighborhood Bash. It's the second year for this event and is put on by a local LGBTQ support group that is doing amazing work in the area. And I am most thankful that we were able to be there. We met a lot of new potential members, and were able to promote our upcoming conference to several people excited about the prospect of joining our group.

In addition to the dancers there was a fun Drag show complete with Queens and Kings. The King was absolutely adorable, with fun songs, great moves, and attitude. Isn't he just too cute?


The Queen's were all fierce, with amazing moves and were in full Diva mode. They were all fab-u-lous, but my vote for fierceness goes to April Evangelista. Not only can she rock this amazing leopard jumpsuit, but her short blond do that she wears with a mini-dress is the bomb!


If you're ever stuck with a bad case of writer's block, I suggest you take a trip to your local Drag show. Energy, color, and life is in abundance. The variety is bound to give your imagination a spark, and if nothing else, you may learn some new fashion tips.

No comments: