Sunday, July 17, 2011

Love is in the Details


I’m scheduling this post early, because on the 17th I’ll be “Up North” celebrating my wedding anniversary to DH.  Thinking about what keeps us together and makes every day fresh made me realize love is in the details.
And also the strengths you bring to the partnership.
Let me explain.
DH is a natural caretaker.  He takes care of people for a living and takes care of me the rest of the time.  He knows when I have a headache before I do and he makes sure I don’t order something stupid off the menu.  It’s details like these that strengthens our relationship.
I’m a learner.  I read everything, and I always look for a story to share with him.  I also love to make him laugh.  If I can tell him something new and make him laugh so hard he can’t breathe, it’s a good day.
What does this have to do with writing?  If you’re writing a love story, you need to show the details.  The story has to go beyond what happens between the sheets.
For example, in my book, Tall, Dark and Slayer (Champagne Books, January 2012), the heroine is plagued by feline visitors slipping in through her cat’s door and making themselves at home.  The hero notices and one day installs a new door controlled by a microchip embedded in her cat’s collar.  He probably doesn’t realize his feelings at the time, but the reader has that “aha” moment.  They know this detail is small but significant.  This guy is going to stick around in her life.
Partnerships should be give and take, with emphasis on the give.  An exchange of strengths, shown in details, ensures the health of a relationship.
Are you including details in your story?  Have you shown how your characters care for each other?  If not, go back and add a few details.  After all, love is in the details.

No comments: