Friday, May 27, 2011

Writing During Memorial Weekend

Happy Memorial Day Weekend! If you have plans, be safe. If you don’t have plans, enjoy relaxing. And don’t forget to honor those who gave their lives to protect our country.

As for me, I can’t wait. I’ll start by catching up on sleep, picking up the house, and then spending a good amount of time writing. No longer under the spell of writer’s block, I’ve decided to start with small writing goals. However, I have several small projects.

If you have ever had to write wedding engagements and announcements, then it makes sense when saying there is a descent amount of work involved. Wedding engagements for a newspaper that involves filling out forms is pretty easy. Freestyle writing can be a little bit more difficult. And then writing the wedding announcements is another story. It is important to give thanks to everyone, document facts properly, and follow a standard writing style along with making sure there are pictures. Being creative and presenting the stories to magazines is just as challenging. This is my first time writing for a friend’s wedding. As difficult as it is I also have to say it is rewarding. I feel like the guy from 27 Dresses who wrote all the wedding stories; his stories were inspiring and moving, according to Katherine Heigl’s character.

Another project involves blogging. It is important to learn about upcoming events in Grand Rapids, stay healthy, note local news, and focus on the people in the community. As I dive into this project, there always seems to be something interesting to check out. However, it sometimes involves money, which I don’t always have to spend on extra activities-- to enjoy exploring new places—but I’ll keep telling you about what I learn. :)

My last writing project is re-looking at some of my short stories and movie scripts. Some of these stories were written five years ago. I have to say some are funny, some stories are good, and some of them have great ideas that need to be improved. Even if only writing short amounts each day, I’m noticing setting small goals is a good start to improvement. As for writing screenplays, if you are interested and struggling with this style, check out the book Screenwriting for Dummies. The book is great and explains everything in simple terms.

If writing is a passion, make sure to take a few minutes each day to document your thoughts. You never know what stories you will create and what greatness may come from your stories.

1 comment:

chocoaddict said...

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, Jenn. It always helps to "plan your work (which you've done) and work your plan (that's the part I have trouble with)." Good luck finishing all your projects!

Patty