Saturday, May 14, 2011

Why am I doing this?

Today is GRRWG's monthly meeting and I'm most likely not there. I'm running the Fifth Third River Bank Run this morning with my sisters. I don't think I can run fast enough to do both. Maybe next year.

As I started training for the race, I read a book called Run Like A Mother.  Now you are probably wondering what this has to do with writing or a writing group or 'anything at all that I'm interested in because I hate exercise in general and running in particular.' Don't worry I'll get there. I don't write fast either.

I've always run.  Sometimes more consistently than others, but more consistently in training for the race. I've never really thought about why. To get in shape or to be faster.  I didn't think about how it defined me.

 As I read this book one thing really stood out to me. Not just as it related to running, but also as it related to writing. One of the authors focused on running as the thing she devoted time to for herself and a way to define herself. 'I'm a runner.'

For me, this clicked with how I thought about writing. As a stay at home mom, writing is what I do for me.  To keep my brain active and developing and as a way to define myself besides chief-diaper-changer and tantrum-tolerator.

Even as young as they are, my kids can identify these things.  They see a picture of someone running and they say, 'they're running fast like you, Mom.' Or they see my book cover and say, 'there's your book, Mom.'

It doesn't matter how fast you run to be a runner, just that you do.

It doesn't matter how much you write to be a writer, just that you do.

No comments: