Sunday, May 15, 2011

What Happens When I Drink Mojitos and Blog


by Tanya Eby


I’m currently sitting in San Chez, a restaurant in Grand Rapids that serves Spanish tapas. It’s 2:34PM on a Thursday and I’m drinking a mojito and feeling very Hemingway, except without the guns and chauvinism and all that. Basically, I feel very writerly.

I’ve just come from seeing a run-through of a short one-act play that I wrote for the Grand Rapids Art Museum. There’s something pretty incredible about seeing words you wrote performed by actors….especially when they make your words better. I even got a little teary over one part in the play, and I don’t think I’m being biased (though I probably am).

I’m now waiting for a friend to show up so I thought I’d take the time to blog. And what better time than when you’re a little buzzy from a mojito? I say, there’s no better time!

I can’t tell you how deliscious this drink is. It’s like summer and sex in a glass. On second thought, that doesn’t sound good. I’d like to drink summer, but I’m pretty sure I don’t want to drink sex.

Anywho

I thought I’d experiment and post a bog while under the influence and NOT correct my mistakes. (Though the fancy shmancy computer is self-correcting some.) This is an example of why you should nt write while under the influence, or feeling like your Hemingway. I tell you, people, mojitos can kill you if you’re not careful. Or get you pregnant.

Uhhhh

Awkward pause here

Oh. Right. Feeling like awriter. So I just came from a performance of my little play and I have to say, I feel pretty good about that. I don’t know about you but so many times I’m chastising myself for not promotiong my work, or selling enough, or writing enough or whatever…rarely do I sit back and say “You know what. I’m a fucking writer.” (I swear when I drink.)

That’s right. I’m a writer. And one who...ahem…

Awkward pause again.

My point is…let this random blog be an encouragement to you to slow down, drink a mojito (or eat a piece of chocolate or have sex or whatver you do that makes you happy and is hopefully legal) and breathe and relish that you are doing exactly what you are meant to do.

If Hemingway had done that, maybe the dude would’ve been a bit happier. I don’t know. I’m a writer. Im’ not a therapist.


And I need another mojito. Bring it.

3 comments:

doreen said...

I really must lighten up and try this one day. I am just learning in baby steps to say "I am a writer". It feels so good to say I have a book coming out this summer.
Congratulations on the play...

Agbaji said...

I like ur thick sense of imagination... I'm gonna follow ur prescription and take time off to indulge in something really tingy; might not be a mojito and could be something on the hair-raising cadre. :)
Congrats on ur play. And Hey! Take time off once in a while to beat ur chest (or derrière) and say, I'm one writer with a difference. :) Cheers.

Joselyn Vaughn said...

Great blog, Tanya! Some really good advice, but my favorite part is the tag "Hemingway had a big tummy"! LOL.