Sunday, April 17, 2011

Writers Conferences - Why Do You Attend?


GRRWG members have a rich history of attending writers conferences.  From our earlier status as a RWA chapter to yesterday’s spring retreat, we’ve make it our business to fly and drive to local, regional and national writers conferences.  We’ve spent thousands of dollars and attended dozens of workshops in pursuit of furthering our careers.
From attendance of over two thousand (RWA, RT) to the four writers who met yesterday, something drives us to get together and share our craft.  Truth be told, part of the attraction is removing ourselves from our families.  Some of it is the hope of selling our manuscript to an editor or agent.  Learning our craft, visiting a different locale, kibitzing with fellow authors - these are many of the reasons we save our pennies, agonize over travel plans and contemplate the merits of one workshop over another.
What makes you chose one conference over another?  What’s your prime motivation in attending?
If you’ve never gone - why?  Is it financial, fear of standing out, fear of flying, or you’re new to the business?  Or has social media made conferences redundant? 
The Grand Rapids Region Writers Group is six months away from hosting the “I’ve Always Wanted to Write a Book” conference.  I’m excited about the possibilities before us.  We’re planning a whole bunch of awesomeness.  I hope to see you there.

3 comments:

Tanya Eby said...

Gah! I just wrote a long comment and it didn't post. Now to summarize the elegant post into bullet points.

1) Conference or retreat needs to be useful. I want to meet editors and/or agents or have time to write. I like the pressure of writing with a group of others...and it's fun.

2) It has to fit into my schedule and budget.

1&2 rarely happen.

I'd attend more things with GRRWG, but our meetings are on weekends I have the kids...and the most recent retreat date was scheduled so late that I'd already filled my schedule.

Hopefully, we can plan things more in advance...like our fall conference which will hit both 1 & 2 for me. I'm looking forward to it.

Brynn Paulin said...

For me, a conference needs to be useful for making contacts. I don't generally go to retreats because I don't really accomplish anything there and the money I'd spend should be funneled to promo or conferences.

J.C. Hanks said...

I haven't gone because I'm new to all of this. But I'd love to go to a conference where I could possibly connect with an agent or publisher. And learn more about how the biz works.