Friday, April 22, 2011

Some Things to Consider

We're all excited about getting our books published and we'd love to have people read them, but when you're trying to get the word out about your book, there are some things you may want to consider.

Promo - it's important, but please, don't be one of those people who friends people on Facebook or leaves messages on blogs spamming everyone about your new release. If you want to meet people and network - sweet. But please don't leave posts on their walls or their blogs saying, "Have you heard about my new book? You can see the trailer at itsallaboutme.com and you can get a copy of it at buymybookrightnowImsuperdesperate.com. It's the exciting tale of romance, adventure and true love and it's completely unlike anything else on the market. You'll be amazed! Please feel free to leave me five-star reviews."

I don't know about you, but I don't want to read books that are shoved in my face every time I turn around. I want to read books that look appealing from trolling publishers websites. I also am more likely to try a new author that I've been chatting with on social networking sites and blogs about things that don't involve their latest releases. I've also met some lovely friends that way. One in particular will never read my books because I don't write what she reads. But that hasn't stopped us from becoming friends. If I'd been trying to hard sell my books, I'm fairly certain that wouldn't have happened, and I'd be missing out on a lot of awesomeness.

There's nothing wrong with promo-ing your work on your own sites, but please, don't vomit up ad-copy on other people's pages.

Reviews - everyone gets a bad one from time to time. They suck. Sometimes, they hurt. But they happen. Pick up the phone, call your friends and bitch and cry if you need to. But please, please don't respond to the reviewer and tell him/her that s/he is wrong, stupid, unprofessional or amateur. Please don't blog about the bad review you got. It's okay to be upset about it, but please don't do it publicly. Gracefully let it go. This is the kind of stuff that spreads across the internet like wildfire. You'll be tweeted, retweeted and blogged about. Often people will decide on the basis of your response that your books aren't something they'd like to spend money on. In short, you're likely to lose existing readers as well as future readers. Just take a breath and let it go. It's just not worth it.

Divas - This is an industry that expands daily. There are at least 50 people who'd like to be where you currently are in your career. If you're a pain in the ass to work with, you can be replaced. Probably fairly easily, as a matter of fact. Now, I'm not saying that you should roll over and make changes to your story that you absolutely disagree with, but I am saying, choose your battles wisely. And while you're drawing your line in the sand, remember to be kind. Don't pitch a fit. Don't call your editor names. And definitely don't be a condescending ass. Editors frequently have friends who work for other houses and let me tell you, the word spreads. The last thing you want is a reputation as being difficult work with. It will follow you everywhere. Think of it as a literary STD. After a while, no one's gonna want to get with you.

Like I said, these are things that should be common sense, and yet they arise over and over. Learn from the mistakes of others and avoid these pitfalls.

2 comments:

J.C. Hanks said...

Perhaps I'm more hard-skinned than some, but I don't understand the being upset at a bad review. I'd just be happy if someone actually read one of my books.

Or maybe it's just a different perspective since I work in IT and we're always at fault. :)

Bronwyn Green said...

LOL about IT. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, J.C. :)

I'll admit, a bad review can sting, but engaging over it is never worth it!