Thursday, April 14, 2011

Encouraging Disappointments

Last week, I got a crazy email.  I thought it was a joke or that the sender was confused about the nature of my novels.  They mentioned my first novel, CEOs Don’t Cry, and wanted to interview me. Sounded pretty cool – assuming they really wanted a romance novelist.  I was sure they’d only seen the title of the book and thought it was a self-help book.
After contacting them, I learned that they knew it was a romance and thought their viewers would really enjoy it.  We talked about my other books and the coordinator for the show was really positive.  I was getting excited.  This would be a huge promotional opportunity – much larger than anything I’d be able to do on my own. I would be able to reach so many readers.
Then came the catch and I knew I couldn’t do it. The disappointment settled in. The bubble popped as easily as a cartoon thought.
But I said this was encouraging, right?  It’s given me the courage to try similar venues to promote my book. The coordinator felt that readers for my books were out there.  I needed to try other ways to reach them. Sometimes we just need a little push in a new direction to make good things happen. 
Here’s hoping.

4 comments:

Felicia said...

Interesting. I had the opportunity to do a book signing recently. I was discouraged by the actual number of books I sold BUT I felt like I generated interest. I hope to do better next time. You are correct that sometimes even our most discouraging moments can be encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

Joselyn Vaughn said...

At the least we can learn from the situation and what worked and what didn't.

Thanks for stopping by.

Tanya Eby said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how excited you were. If they asked you for money, though, then it's not rejection. Shows shouldn't ask you for money. They have budgets for that sort of thing. On the plus side, they did find you so your name and books are accessible. Know that more promotional opportunities are coming. It's all building steps and then taking them. I really believe that. Chin up.

Joselyn Vaughn said...

Thanks Tanya. I keep reminding myself that it was more of an infomercial kind of thing. But they did find me, so something I'm doing is working. Just have to keep going.