Thursday, April 21, 2011

Change of Scenery

I write fantasy and sci-fi with decidely romantic elements. I like happy endings. Lately I've been stuck on my writing. I don't know if I would classify it as writers block - a topic that stirs up debate among writers - or not, since its really a lack of motivation and focus pushing me rather than a complete inability to form a coherent story or even a sentence. So today I decided to head to local food court to hopefully write and more importantly to observe people.

Even though I don't write contemporary stories, watching people interact. An older couple is talking at one table. My guess is they are friends, he's leaning into her but doesn't reach out to her. She is talking and has that posture that your grandmother - or at least mine - used to bug me about. Farther away a group of college boys - evident by the piles of back packs surrounding them - are drinking coffee and pop are talking. There are others, some leave, some sit, and some are passing through.

The day may or may not help with my current WIP, but it does kick start my creativity and will definitely help down the road.

Since it's almost the weekend, have a great weekend everyone!

Caley

1 comment:

chocoaddict said...

This reminds me of Tina Fey and Steve Carell in "Date Night" when they're looking at people in the restaurant and imagining what their stories are. Hope the exercise helped you!

Patty K