Monday, April 4, 2011

Another pair of eyes or several sets more

Well, I've finally heard back from 'the agent'. She sent a note that said she really liked my story and was "seriously considering offering representation, but it isn't ready yet. The hard stuff is done - it needs fine tuning". Then she suggested strongly that I join 2 to 3 critique groups.

I'm already in one group, so I've started emailing author friends who write in similar genres and asking if they have time to give me a critique. Unfortunately, the agent wasn't specific about what needs fine tuning.

Since I wrote this story nearly a year ago and I've grown as a writer in the meantime, I imagine that once I go through this manuscript for another round of polishing I will see myself where I can tighten pacing, clean up overwriting, and further develop the characters.

So, I'm doing a modified happy dance. I'm so close, I almost believe I can see the podium in the distance with a banner above it reading, "First Book Contract". I'll keep putting one foot in front of another and eventually I'll reach the finish line.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

My fingers are crossed for you. It must be frustrating to be so close and not have more specific information from her.

Andrea Dickinson said...

Thanks, Cheryl. Yes, so close and so frustrating.