Saturday, April 9, 2011

Anatomy of a Soap Opera

Right now, I'm staying with my parents. Not something I'm proud of, but I fell into a bit of financial problems. One of the downfalls of this arrangement is that I'm "forced" to watch episodes of Days of Our Lives. Okay, I admit I end up getting sucked into these shows, as do most people. Well, I hope most people.

As I write the third book in my series, I finally realized why people get caught up in soap operas. It's all about the HOOK!

These shows are perpetually ending on cliff-hangers. It makes you WANT to tune back in and see what's going to happen next. It's the same thing with writing. We need to end our scenes and chapters just like they end the episode of a soap opera, so the reader NEEDS to turn the page to see what happens next with our characters.

So if you need a good lesson about hooks, just turn on the TV and watch a soap opera!

2 comments:

Andrea Dickinson said...

One writer who is fabulous at hooks at the end of her chapters is Suzanne Collins, author of the Hunger Games trilogy.

I read aloud to my son every night and end up always reading 2 chapters because I've missed the chapter break.

Stephanie Michels, author said...

Just what I need, another excuse to watch TV instead of writing. LOL!