Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What's old is new again.

I know a lot of writers that read their books as soon as they get them in their hot little hands.

I'm not one of those people.

Mostly I'm afraid I'm going to catch mistakes that it's too late to fix. Or worse, I'm going to think it's the dumbest story ever, and I can't believe I wrote it. And worse still, that other people are reading it.

Hello, crippling insecurity, thy name is Bron.

However, I recently had the opportunity (read: was forced by my editor) to read the first book I ever published. It's being re-released by my current publisher and had to be re-edited and whatnot.

Now, I admit, there were definitely some newbie mistakes, but on the whole, I was delightfully surprised by how much I liked it. And, as an added bonus, I got to fix the mistakes, change the title to something I don't hate and I got to put the scenes back in that the other publisher made me take out. So win-win all the way around!

Tomorrow, the new and improved version of my first book comes out, and next month the next one in the series will be out, too. And to add more awesome to the pile, I have a gorgeous new cover, (created by the awesome and multi-talented Brynn Paulin) too!

2 comments:

Joselyn Vaughn said...

Congratulations on the re-release!

I can't read my published books either. I see too many things that I can't believe I missed. Like the word 'truck' in one sentence three times. How great to have the chance to change them and be even happier with your story.

Bronwyn Green said...

I'm SO glad I'm not the only one, Joselyn! Sometimes you look at it and think, "Wait...I wrote that???"