Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Weird Moment With Brainstorming

I recently completed the 2nd book in the Demons Unleashed series and sent it off to my publisher. With that comes the daunting task of plotting the next book. My heroine, whilst my mom and I were on our way to the grocery store, rather adamantly tells me she enjoys the pirate life. I furrowed my brow.

Then it came to me. Kalli, the heroine in book three might be a demon, but she still likes to have fun too. She enjoys getting into costume and reenacting famous pirate battles. Hey, if you can reenact a civil war battle, why not a pirate battle too? Don’t worry, no ships were damaged while brainstorming this novel.

Oops. Maybe one was...

I decided what they needed was some sort of shipwreck. Something cataclysmic to throw Kalli and her hero together. I wasn’t so sure about this idea, so I started a conversation with my mother. Once I told her my idea, I asked what she thought.

The radio answered for her. As soon as my question came out, the song changed. I cringed. It was Céline Dion. If that wasn’t bad enough, it was “My Heart Will Go On.”

I kid you not!

Plotting a shipwreck when a song from a movie about one of the biggest shipwrecks in history starts playing? I’m torn whether this is a sign to scrap that idea or go ahead. What do you all think?

14 comments:

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

I do not believe in coincidence so my answer, it was a sign that you are on the right track with this story plotline. It's sort of exciting, isn't it!!! Good luck with it and be sure to let us know when you finish it. :)

Anonymous said...

I firmly believe we are sent messages from the Universe,Great Spirit or whatever you call your deity. Maybe from your muse,mine are always whispering and shouting at me.So yes I firmly beleive in signs.
Of course I am Irish,English and Choctaw. That could explain why I believe so strongly in signs and magic.

Pamala Owldreamer said...

sorry for the anonymous on the above post.I am happy to show who I am what I believe.being Irish and Choctaw can be fun or a royal battle.

Eliza Knight said...

I think it was a sign!!!

Don't know if this helps, but while I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago, the Luxor had the Titanic exhibit. Maybe your heroine goes to Vegas to see Treasure Island and ends up at the Titanic exhibit, which was also right next to the bodies exhibit--real dissected human bodies (not for the faint of heart)--I am not kidding. I will never eat ham again. lol

Good luck to you!
Eliza

Maeve said...

Definitely a positive sign to move forward. I think you have been cosmically nudged. ;-)

Sidney Ayers said...

Glad to know everyone thinks it's a positive sign. Isn't it neat how things like that happen sometimes?

Eliza: On a side note, we also have a human body exhibit at the local museum right now. Bodies in Motion. Too creepy for my tastes. LOL

Michelle Muse said...

First, how cool is it that you can talk to your mom about ideas? Super cool!

I think that shipwrecks aren't very common now, so I don't think it is cliche or anything. I also think that often things happen for a reason, we just aren't often aware of it. I say go for it!

Kim Bowman Author said...

Hey, you could always put her ON the Titanic!! Yes, I think it's definitely a sign! Come by my blog friday and we'll have Zanna ask the Tarot cards for ya:)

Karen Cote said...

I just love when our characters talk to us. Rachel Gibson (romance author) told about being stuck in a scene where the woman was looking out the back screen door of her kitchen. Rachel couldn't move forward in the scene for days. She was flying west for some event and the character told her at that time, she wasn't supposed to be at the back screen door. Once Rachel listened, the story flowed on. I also believe we get signs that we're on the right track. Being so connected to your character reflects how much you care about them.

Great Post!

Rebecca said...

I say go for it!

Christina said...

Definitely go for it! I know you can pull it off.

Sidney Ayers said...

Oops... the museum exhibit here in Grand Rapids is called Bodies Revealed, not Bodies in Motion. LOL

Sherry Gloag said...

Not only 'go for it' but make sure you have a scene where your herione is listening to Céline Dion (if the era is right)

Donna Cash said...

I love it when a plan comes together! :) I'll add my vote for the pirate/shipwreck theme. And throwing a little Celine in could really turn out to be fun. I say run with it, or swim with it, and see where it takes you!