Friday, March 4, 2011

In the beginning...

If you want to finish it, you have to begin it...somewhere, in someway, probably with a few words, maybe a little dialogue, toss in some description while you're at it, don't forget the internal thoughts, oh yeah, and the visceral reactions, readers like visceral reactions.

Oh, wait. Press pause for a second...one of my favorite songs just came on...Goo Goo Dolls - Not Broken. Quick! Turn it up! LOUD!!!!

Damn! Just dropped the new remote. Hope I didn't break it...nope, just the batteries fell out.

What is it about this song that makes me happy and sad all at once? You know another one that is like this is Miranda Lambert's The House That Built Me. You know that one? Here's a link.

Sometimes I think being a songwriter would be so much easier than writing books. With songs, you can manipulate listeners' emotions so easily with the sound of the music. Throw in a few short verses of words and you get a hit. Books? Much harder to get a reaction and waaaaaaaaay harder to get a hit...or even to get published.

Anyhooo, you're probably wondering what the point is in this post...not much of one.

Except you could look at this as an example of one way to work through writer's block. It's called the 'Just write any damn thing' method. I guarantee if you start writing stream of consciousness stuff like this, you'll eventually bore yourself so greatly, you'll be begging yourself to get to the story. Puleeeeze, get to the story or the point or something interesting.

1 comment:

Stephanie Michels, author said...

Andrea,
I love the way you free stream ideas to get writing. I sometimes do it too but it doesn't always help me to add to my word count! Bot when it does, it's a freaking Eureaka! moment.

Write, just write!