Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Care and Feeding of a Writer



According to the calendar, spring arrives this month. According to Punxutawny Phil, it's coming earlier than usual. As I look outside my window, I'm not so sure. But this is the time when we start thinking about green grass, flowers, and other living things. It's the season of growth, and we are reminded of the things we need to live and grow.

Just as plants need certain things to thrive, we as writers have needs. Instead of water, soil and sunlight, we need a place, the time, and the inspiration. Most of us wear other caps in our lives: wife, mom, daughter, and employee (male writers can substitute their appropriate counterparts) to name a few. These other roles infringe on our writing time, and we tend to shortchange our own needs.

Since our group is in the midst of our Winter NaNo challenge, many of us are writing, writing, writing. There's a thin layer of dust accumulating around here, and laundry piles up higher before I take care of it. Fortunately, my family is tolerant about that stuff. But I need reminders to take care of myself. So I have a "to do" list that I check each day. I won't bore you with all the details, but a few items appear each day:

1. Remember to eat real food, not just snacks.

2. Go to bed at a decent hour (unless the muse strikes!)

3. Get up and move! Get outside and walk, go to the gym, or turn on the wii.

4. Have a conversation with a real person

If I'm not well, I can't write at all. Or do any of the other million and a half things I need to do. So I need to stay well, by taking care of myself.

Hey, if I don't take care of myself, who will?

2 comments:

Theresa Grant said...

Thanks, Patty, for reminding us to take care of ourselves. I have a hard time with that sleep deal and then I pay for it during my writing time the next day!

Bronwyn Green said...

Excellent post, Patty. We always seem to allow ourselves to be the last in line.