Friday, February 11, 2011

Say What?

We all have those moments when there are a million other things we want to do rather than what we should be doing. But I’m not here to talk about excuses, rather, to offer a tool that I use to refocus and get back on track. I keep inspirational quotes and sayings posted where I can see them just when I need a kick in the pants, words that apply in just about any situation.

When I just need to start:

· Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, magic and power in it. Begin it now. Goethe

· Nothing is far when one wants to get there.

· Let go of whatever holds you back.

When I’m feeling discouraged and hopeless:

· Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

· The great question is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with failure – William Shakespeare

· As water wears away stone, so those who persevere will win;

· If you never chase what you want, you'll never get it. If you never ask, the answer is always no. If you never step forward, you'll always be in the same place.

When I’m afraid to try something:

· Fearless is an interesting word, for in fact, in being fearless you are not without fear, rather you are withstanding fear.

· Your regrets are not what you do, but what you didn’t do.

For days when the odds feel stacked against me:

· Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees.

· It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. – Seneca

· Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

· Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. GK Chesterton

For days when I seem to fall short:

· Let go of your attachment to the outcome.

· There is no way of writing well and of also writing easily. Anthony Trollope

· There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at the typewriter and bleed. Ernest Hemingway

· Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy

For a long time, I was content to sit and watch the world go by. As a single mother, I had time-consuming responsibilities that left little time for anything else. But in addition to the great fulfillment of motherhood, a door to my own life opened. Why? Maybe I was ready for it, or maybe it was ready for me. In any case, I stepped through the doorway and into the adventure of becoming real. Now I’m ready to jump in the water, dance on the sand, climb the mountain. I am a risk taker reaching for the stars. And for those moments when I wonder if there’s something hiding in the dark, I remind myself of one my favorite passages from Susan Orleans’ The Orchid Thief.

“Oh, I’m not brave. I’m just sure of myself. I just remember when I was a kid, I once was going on a canoe trip in the Everglades and some of my friends decided not to go because it was going to be too much discomfort and hardship. But they did come to watch the rest of us head off on the trip, and I remember looking up as we pushed off and seeing the forlorn faces of the people left behind looking on. That’s what started my life of adventure. I knew I never wanted to be the one left on the shore.”

Yeah, that’s me. I want to be the one in the canoe.

1 comment:

Theresa Grant said...

Sharon--I love your posts. I carry a wrinkled hand-written version of "Never give up...tide will turn" around with me in my writing folder. Thanks for introducing me to new inspiration.