Monday, February 21, 2011

I Should Not Be Following Jen Today

I should really not be following Jen today after her eternally happy turtle photo.

But, I am. Because 21 always follows 2o.

For whatever reason this year, my dad's passing has hit me rather hard. His birthday was on the 19th, and as I stood for the National Anthem at my daughter's swim meet, as I sang along (quietly, I rarely sing for people to listen) I started to cry (something I try to avoid when others are around). The military plaque on his headstone reads Vietnam. Something that shocked me, because I only ever knew he was Navy.

One of my friends was talking about her dad and a personal anniversary and how if things hadn't gone the way they did she wouldn't have started writing or gotten out of the marriage to an idiot. Writing for me hasn't given me anything like that. I have been writing since I was 10. It's all I've wanted to do. School is really just for my kidlet. But my dad is the only member of my blood-family that actually supported me. Now my friend family - way different story. But then again, when it came to civil war military history - there was no one smarter than my dad. Something that I found out when I had to argue a point of history with my history teacher in junior high and later high school.


I leave with this - a photo I took at 4th of July celebration last year - life and our accomplishments should always be celebrated.






Caley

No comments: