Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Today, a writer?

As a mother, wife, sister, daughter, friend, editor and writer, I wear many hats. Some days it's not possible to wear them all at once.

Yesterday was supposed to be the first day back to school for all three boys, but the middle one came down with the flu on Sunday and woke up on Monday still with a high fever. All my plans for getting back to my regular weekday schedule of editing and writing in a quiet house went out the window. Instead, I found myself checking up on him every time I heard a whimper from his direction, which was quite frequently. The poor little guy was really miserable.

It didn't help that I was adjusting to waking up at 6:15 am after sleeping late (like reaaaallly late) for the two weeks of Christmas break. My head felt thick and my eyes heavy. In the afternoon I was even able to get away from the sick boy for a while and take a nap.

So I didn't feel much like a writer yesterday. I didn't even open my current WIP, but I did read a few articles in Romance Writers Report at lunch. Instead of stretching myself too thinly, I tried to be the best mother I could be and still take care of myself with my regular exercise and healthy eating. And at the end of the day, I was okay with not putting new words on the page.

And today is a new day. Without carrying any guilt over from yesterday, I am more likely to open my WIP with a positive and willing attitude...even though the poor sick boy is still home.

How do you mentally handle days when you don't write? Do you give yourself a break, without giving yourself permission to completely blow off your writing?

No comments: