Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Roads We Travel Again and Again

It’s the new year, and a lot of us started down new paths once the bell tolled midnight on that last day of December. New directions are always exciting whether it’s personally or as a writer. But as a reader, my feet always manage to find certain well-worn pathways over and over again. After deep thought and consultation, I’ve come up with my travel route for this year.

The Road to Mordor: Tolkien’s classic “The Lord of the Rings” is a biannual walk for me. One blog I read spoke of taking this journey every Lent. I don’t have such a spiritual bent on it. I’m saving Mount Doom for the fall when crisp days fade into dark nights that breathe of winter, when Frodo’s decision to leave his companions and go it alone (except for the ever-faithful Sam) wrenches even harder.

The Road to Sicily: I’ve been too long without a trip with Yossarian, Major Major Major Major, Milo Minderbinder, and Orr. Heller’s World War II classic Catch-22 is on the list. Time to revisit the horror and humor of bureaucracy.

Any Road with Dr. Seuss: This year, I would love to walk all my favorite paths with Dr. Seuss. From a snide field nine miles wide—even though those pale green pants freak me out a little—to the Once-ler and his whisper-ma-phone. I might even stop in and visit Mrs. McCave and her Daves. Don’t you wish you’d named one of your children Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate? Either that or Hoos-Foos?

What an itinerary!

Any well-traveled roads you plan on taking again this year?

4 comments:

chocoaddict said...

Thanks for reminding us of the need to read as well as write. I plan to take another trip to Virgin River! Robyn Carr has three new books out.

Patty

Andrea Dickinson said...

Great post, Theresa! I plan to follow Suzanne Brockmann where ever she leads as her next book in the Troublshooters Series comes out in March! Whooot!

Theresa Grant said...

I can't wait for Maggie Steifvater to wrap up the Wolves of Mercy Falls series. It's on my calendar!

Bronwyn Green said...

Funny - both Brockmann and Stiefvater are on my list! And so is Becca Fitzpatrick!