Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Celebrating the New Year - Not!

You know it is going to be a bad day when they guy who comes to fix your furnace puts the thermostat on upside down and the furnace still won’t work. That was my welcome to 2011 after the celebrating was done. I know 2011 is going to be a great year!

With my current Karma, how can I move forward? How can I get a book done? How can I lose 50 pounds?

I could sit here and rail on the heating guy, my landlord and the water heater that also went bad. (Okay, I did that, but that was therapeutic, I swear!)
Then I have my birthday. There are six inches of snow and I have to make a thirty minute drive. When my son wants to take me out for dinner, I bailed because I was coming down with the flu. I’m really beginning to hate 2011.

Today dawns and I have to work at my day job. I forget all about my blog because I missed the last couple of days due to above said issues. Here it is 6 p.m. and I am writing my blog, only 19 hours too late according to my calendar alarm. I could just forget it…

Enough of my whining I really do have a purpose. I still have a book to write, 150 emails that need attention, edits to make and another book burning in my brain to get out. As a writer, it seems like all you get is reasons not to write. Then when you do finish something the cuts to the self esteem begin. You get rejected from agents and publishers. Writers have their own demons about their work. (Your work never lives up to how great you want it. You can always edit it more and be safe and never send it out.)

My point is that you can’t give up no matter how much life gets in the way. If you are a writer, you have to write. You can’t let the fact your fingers are freezing and can’t type stop you. You have to climb back up and let your fingers tickle the keyboard. It doesn’t have to be great writing, it just has be to words. Good prose will come. So I am back at it. 2011 can freeze me and make me barf, but I’m getting back up and so should you! Enough whining. My book is calling, gotta go! You get to your keyboard too. Fulfill those new year’s resolution. Don’t let anything stop you!

W.S. Gager is an award-winning writer of the Mitch Malone Mystery Series. A Case of Infatuation and A Case of Accidental Intersection are now available. A Case of Hometown Blues will be out this summer.

2 comments:

chocoaddict said...

Hope things start to calm down for you! Way to keep on trucking.

Patty

WS Gager said...

Thanks Patty. Just trying to play catch up now!