Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bodies Reveal I have a weak stomach


We went to the Bodies Revealed exhibit this week end. I heard that the bodies where Chinese people that donated their bodies to science. Don't know if that's true, but that's whats being said.

I normally get into stuff like this. Its interesting to me and almost inconceivable that organisms so small you can't see them with the human eye can turn into something that's us.

So to the exhibit we went. The first room has four skinned bodies doing some type of exercise. Throwing a baseball, swing a bat, riding a bike and I can't remember what the fourth one was doing. Not bad considering they are skinned and all males. So forgive me if I can't remember what they all were doing I had others things burning images into my brain. I mean everything was skinned. Some thing then just dangled there. It reminded my of those Klick-Klackers. You know those balls on the string. You hang on to the paddle and try to clank them together as fast as you can.  Anyway getting back.

My son didn't care too much about the bodies. He kept asking if the bat and bike were real. Its probably the only reason why I remember the bat and bike. The mind of an eight year old compared to a 40 yr old.

Moving to the next room.
They had blood vessels, arteries and nervous systems all laid out for you.  Then you moved to the cancers and diseased organs. This is when my husband came up to me and said he wasn't feeling so good. I wasn't going to confess that earlier I too had begun to feel a little queasy, but since he brought it up I told him laughing "me too."  Now I normally can watch operations on TV and it doesn't bother me. But something about staring at a skinned human just wasn't settling right.

The next room was the kicker.  Right when you go in you are met with a human that was sliced and sandwiched in between panes of glass. OK, so after seeing everything else so what, right? Wrong. The first slice was the front of a man with his "pee pee" smooched up against the glass. My kid laughed really hard. I looked around wondering if all the men shifted their stance when faced with the picture in front of them. Then I looked closer at the second sliced and realized one of his eyebrows was still attached. The other one gone. So I moved on quickly through that exhibit to get to the last pane and there was his bum smooched in that one. My mouth felt dry and I caught myself swallowing to help calm what I hoped was not going to be a rejection from my stomach.  Mind you we didn't eat lunch yet.

The last room was on the reproductive system. It showed all kinds of good things in there. From the actual outer and inners of the female, to a full body(skinned) with the stomach opened for you to see a four month old still inside. Well I'm done I said. My husband said "Yep, lets go."

My kid still thinks it all was fake.  I found out my stomach is getting wimpier with age. I also was haunted my those faces. When I took the time to stare at one of them and really look into their eyes (and yes I believe some of the eyes were real. Blah) it gave me the creeps. So what did I learn about the human body? We don't look good without our skin and....clothes.

So we left the museum and went out for Chinese.  Not intentionally. Its just where we ended up after two other choices weren't opened. But I can't help think, does that mean something?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Willow, we were there Saturday. Still queasy even though I saw a similar show in Vegas in October (DH sprang that one on me after breakfast one day). My son wanted to see the local edition. He spent an hour and a half and mentioned seeing some hair. I grew up on a farm and we always plucked our chickens clean. Just saying.
I tried to think of it all as a big PlayDough exhibit and not dwell on the reality. I'm just glad I had time to see some of the other exhibits and desensitize myself.

Bronwyn Green said...

I haven't been able to bring myself to see that exhibit. I saw all I wanted to (and more) of skinless bodies in cadaver class in college.