Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Why I Joined A Writers' Group

Hey. Whassup?

Uh...okay....awkward start.

Let's try again.

Imagine: me, walking up to a podium, head held high: "Hello. I am Tanya Eby and I am a writer."

There's no shame in that statement, only pride--and maybe a little bit of attitude. I like being a writer. It makes me feel trendy. I like feeling trendy because I don't have enough of a natural sense of fashion. Just so you know, I'll be blogging here on my writing group's site once a month. I also blog on my own. I blog and I write and in the evening I try to do crunches to make up for all the cookies I've eaten through the day. Just thought you should know.

I was trying to think of a topic and the first thing that came to my mind was to just explain why I joined a writing group and what GRRWG means to me. It's a little bit of "What I Did Last Summer" and I do apologize for that.

So. Why did I join a writers' group? Therapy? Because I needed a support system? Because I was tired of secretly writing in the closet because it made me feel just a little past creepy? Yep. All those reasons.

I've never been a 'secret writer'. Anyone who knows me can tell you that. I was, however, a secret genre writer. I write romantic comedies. For literary writers, this is akin to saying I Have Herpes. It just makes everyone feel awkward. So imagine my pure delight when I walked into a room at Grand Villa Restaurant and found a whole group of women just like me! Uh...not with herpes. That was an example. I meant a group of women writers who, like me, write genre fiction. Not just romantic comedies, but erotica, mysteries, nonfiction, Christian fiction, sci-fi, steam punk...what have you. Not only that...they live in the Grand Rapids Area. An extra bonus: more than half of them are published.

I found instant support and acceptance in the group. I also found resources, knowledge, encouragement. And when I was just about to give up, I found a group who gave me stars for trying and a kick in the pants when I needed it.

Two years after joining the group...I have two books published and a third coming out in February. And I also have a much larger circle of friends. Hopefully none of them have herpes because that's just uncomfortable.

Cheers.

-Tanya Eby-
http://www.heyblunderwoman.com

5 comments:

Theresa Grant said...

Go Genre Girls!

Joselyn Vaughn said...

Great blog! Thanks, Tanya!

Bronwyn Green said...

Awesome post, Tanya - and no herpes, here!

I'm so glad you found us! You rock it hard, and we adore you!

WS Gager said...

Great post Tanya. Not sure I can beat the herpes though. I have until Jan. 5 to work on it though!

Brynn Paulin said...

"I write romantic comedies. For literary writers, this is akin to saying I Have Herpes."

Best line. Ever.