Saturday, September 5, 2009

September Author - Simone Anderson

I'd like to thank Simone Anderson for joining us for the author spotlight today.

Where are you from?
I live in West Michigan and even grew up here, but I came back via the Air Force. I’m a wanderer by nature.

Tell us your latest news?
My second book, Knight of Pleasure is the first in a new series – Smuggler’s Cove and will be released from Total-e-Bound on March 15th

When and why did you begin writing?
I have been writing and telling stories for as long as I can remember. I write because the characters refuse to leave me alone until I tell their story. And as soon as one group leaves, more take their place. Eh, what else can you do?

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
No, it’s always been there. Though it occasionally took a back seat to more exciting occupations like spy, pilot, and figure skater.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I’ve always been a writer, but I think I seriously took it heart when I went looking for a critique group while I stationed in Okinawa, Japan.

What inspired you to write your first book?
My first ever book – I don’t remember – characters that wouldn’t shut up probably. My first erotic romance – I’d read a few and I wanted to see if I could do it, try and improve the sex scenes in a fantasy romance novel I was working on.

Do you have a specific writing style?
Yes, it’s the Simone Anderson method of writing that will most likely cause your writing and composition teachers to curl up in a fetal position and cover their heads or at the very least run screaming from the room. But hey, it works for me. Most of the time. Bloody muse and her fairy harem.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Making sure the right balance of everything is achieved between the characters themselves, but also between the characters and the reader. Finding the right amount of backstory and information to add to the book, generally I know more than what I tell, so I have find the right balance of information and then keep track of all of the rest just in case I use it again.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Escapism. Oh, and that love is always possible. But that’s it. I write in order for entertainment, for people to escape into a world where good always wins in the end.

What books have most influenced your life most?
Specifically, that’s a hard one because everything influences me either good or bad.
I read The Inheritance by Louisa May Alcott for grounding,

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Brynn Paulin. But really every writer and story teller that came before me both influences me and has made it possible for me to tell the stories that I do.

What book are you reading now?
I usually have two or three books going at any given time – right now I’m reading Ask The Man That Owns Him by david stein and David Schachter, Hidden Battles On Unseen Fronts by Patricia Driscoll and Celia Straus, Big Medicine From Six Nations by Ted Williams, and The Inheritance by Louisa May Alcott.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Favorite? As is in one? Seriously? So not happening. I have a lot of favourite authors – Christine Feehan, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Carol Lynne, JRR Tolkein, Shakespeare, JK Rowling – generally what dictates who becomes a favourite author is – can and do I get lost in their story? Have they created an unbelievably realistic world? Are the heroines kick-ass and mistresses of their fate or do they simply wait to be rescued by some hot hunk? In the case of m/m – are both/all the men in the relationship strong and true to their beliefs while falling in love.

What is your current project?
I am currently putting the finishing touches on Knight of Pleasure, the first Smuggler’s Cove Book

Can you share a little of your current work with us?
Knight of Pleasure introduces us to Smuggler’s Cove a microbrewery and restaurant. Ethan is one of the owners of Smuggler’s Cove and is involved in sword fighting and renaissance faires on his off time. It is at one of these faires that he meets Dean, an injured Marine, who at first scoffs at the men playing at being a knight. What follows is an emotionally charged story of trust and learning that love means taking the good with the bad.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Which one? Generally the hardest part of writing a book is making sure it’s believable and consistent throughout the story or series. Other than those details, digging into the soul of a character as they reveal their story which will tug at your heart strings.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Read a lot. Write every day. Be consistent with your backstory.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you. I love hearing from readers. I hope you enjoy reading my books as I have writing them and that they provide a measure of escape and hope for you.

Thanks Simone!

1 comment:

Stephanie Michels, author said...

Very nice interview, Simone. It was interesting to read some of your background and about the way you write. I loved the part about looking for a critique group in Okinawa, Japan. Did you find one?

Knight of Pleasure sounds like an interesting story. A great way to weave your love of Ren Faire's into your writing.

Wishing you every success!
~ Stephanie