Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Book Review-Don’t Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes by Dixie Cash

Since we’re always looking for new authors to read, here’s a humorous change of pace.

This year for Christmas, my dear daughter got me a box of books. Nestled in it was “Don’t Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes” by Dixie Cash. Chel said she couldn’t resist the title since it was so me (wonder what she meant by that?). Anyway, I started reading it over the weekend and couldn’t put it down. I have to say, if any of you can find it – or any of the Dixie
Cash books check them out. I used part of my Christmas gift card from Barnes and Noble to order the rest of them.

The stories are about two best friends in Salt Lick, TX. Former rodeo barrel champion Debbie-Sue Overstreet and her best friend Edwina Perkins-Martin are co-owners of the Styling Station Beauty Salon AND the Domestic Equalizers Detective Agency. Can you just imagine that combination? The situations they get into are hysterical. The stories and language are as
pure South as Charlaine Harris’ Sookie stories, but there’s no vampires involved. Just lots of crazy humor, zany antics, some hunky cops and Texas Rangers, and a dollop of murder and
mayhem.

Dixie Cash is actual a writing team of Pam Cumby and her sister, Jeffery McClanahan, who both were born and raised in Texas and now live in the Fort Worth/Dallas area.

Pam has this to say about their background: “We were both born and raised in West Texas. I’ve never lived anywhere but Texas and I don’t want to live anywhere else. I love it to the point of being corny. In reality, it’s no better than anyone else’s place of birth, but it’s just mine.

Jeff was born in Texas, but spent years of her adult life living in foreign countries like California and Oregon and Idaho. But do I need to point out that after all that tomfoolery, she’s back in
Texas?”

The sisters are a hoot. I think you might enjoy getting to know them, too. The titles of their other books sound like Country Western song titles (no offense intended, I’m a CW music fan). Here they are:

I Gave You My Heart, But You Sold It Online
My Heart May Be Broken, But My Hair Still Looks Great
(and my favorite)
Since You’re Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash -

- Reviewed by Marti Ocilka

No comments: